Monday, May 18, 2009

Social Networking-Old School

I just returned from a lovely wedding anniversary weekend in Port Townsend, WA, an eclectic community of oystermen, BnB's, and organic food coop owners. We happened to be there at the tail end of the annual Rhody-fest and were thus treated to bed races and a three-hour long parade of all the county festival Queens, the various political parties, the Shriners, and the Magic Bus! Thanks to Port Townsend for its warmth, welcome and whimsy.

As we were scoping our spot for the bed races, I struck up a conversation with a man who was wearing a Pagosa Springs, CO baseball hat (mine read Steamboat Springs, CO). My natural inclination to chat with everyone, everywhere and anytime led to the discovery that this gentlemen knew my father's college roommate, who had settled in Durango, CO many years ago and for a variety of reasons, was well known. As I reflect on the conversation and my delight at another anecdotal example of what a small world we truly inhabit, I feel compelled to remark that the social media and networking trends which so intrigue me today are truly founded in the fundamental communications skills upon which I was reared and coached by my parents, mentors and teachers, speech and debate coach of high school, and the intrinsic connection that I share with all my fellow "Twibe" members. I firmly believe that the power of the WEB 2.0 applications that extend these opportunities across time and space today are self-regulated and able to maintain a warmth and personality by embracing the principles of hospitality, grace and curiosity by which I was raised and schooled.

I previously posted about "Tweetiquette", which I think gives me some structure by which I extend my virtual hand to you and I sincerely hope that my posts and musing are marked by the joy, exuberance, and delight that I take in my social networking outreach, old school style. If I can't meet and converse with all of you F2F, I certainly hope that we all walk away from the conversation with at least the taste that we were sharing a spot along a small town parade route and uncovering connections that enhance and elevate the dialogue.

My very best,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Lisa. I have to always remember that as much as technology has advanced our lives (although some would argue the opposite), the real wealth of discussion sometimes comes F2F. My grandparents come to mind - always a pleasant thought!

    ReplyDelete